22.3.07

Breakfast of champions

1 egg, scrambled in a small dish with salt and pepper, microwaved on high for 1 minute + 40 seconds.
1 English muffin, toasted
two slices of ripe tomato
handful of mixed greens
1 tsp or so of tarragon mustard - the clincher!

The whole shebang comes out to less than 250 calories and about 6 grams of fat (thanks to the egg). Takes less than 5 minutes to prepare and tastes really superscrumdiddlyumptious.

I cannot start the day without a nice breakfast. Sometimes nice means a preferred cereal with soy milk, but sometimes nice means something a little more elaborate. I've also been eating a lot of oatmeal lately, cooked with cinnamon, a bit of salt, some maple sugar and vanilla, and a random fruit like raisins, dates, banana, or apple. Pretty tasty. That's thanks to Miranda telling me how to make breakfast oatmeal in under 3 minutes. Muffins have started appearing regularly; for instance last week I made a batch of Sunny Corn Muffins from The Post Punk Kitchen (exchanged the oil and yogurt amounts to cut down on fat and added 1 cup of blueberries). They were pretty awesome, even if they didn't rise very much.

I heard an interview with Jann Arden* a few weeks ago on CBC and they spoke about her recent substantial weight loss (I think it's along the lines of >50lbs). She claims she used to be the kind of person who ate once a day, a huge meal, usually in the evening. She began to eat breakfast - just something small - everyday and her weight started dropping. I've never been that eat-once-daily person so eating breakfast is not going to cause any substantial weight loss for me, but it's interesting to hear what small changes will have a dramatic effect on our bodies. Rocco was never a big breakfast fan but since we've been living in sin he's been eating breakfast most days. When he's running too late and I'm lazily still lying in bed (i.e. not in the kitchen to chide him into eating something) he now really notices a difference in energy and hunger throughout the day.

So who's the real champion here? Breakfast! We love you breakfast!

*I know, I can't believe I referenced Jann Arden on my blog, either! Will wonders never cease?

6 comments:

  1. Oatmeal is a good start to the day, but honestly my two favorites are M-F: Cheerios with a banana chaser and a weekend treat of poached eggs, toast and a latte. mmmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:13 p.m.

    Hey, I want some credit for this invention! The famous Mom McMuffin. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Credit will be given where it's due, mom! You poach your egg and don't add any veggies to the sandwich. I think Anne might have described something more like this breakfast sandwich. But anyway, all versions are nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:55 p.m.

    I am also going through an oatmeal phase. I like mine with honey, rasins and milk. I also have a version of the English muffin breakfast sandwich. Mine usually has an egg*, black forest ham or tureky bacon, tomato, lettuce and dijionaise. The dijionaise was a discovery from Meg's kitchen.

    * I tried to microwave an egg for one of these sands and it exploded into little bits all over my micro. My house ended up smelling of egg for almost two days (with the windows open). After that, I sun the microwaved egg!

    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:15 a.m.

    Ha ha ha ha kath!!! Brutal. I think you have to scramble the egg or the yolk can explode. I do this sandwich with tomatoes and for egg I use egg whites and mushrooms. A good alternative to tarragon mustard (which I also love) is light cream cheese and grainy mustard. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry I still respect you.... I may have to mention Jann on my blog to make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete