7.12.06

Forget the casbah, rock the committee!

I had my first PhD committee meeting today - and it was grrrrreat! I was excited to introduce committee member Randy (not the randy committee member) to committee member Stephen and it turns out they also think they have things in common and overlapping research areas. I was nervous, because you should be nervous about these meetings, and the discussion did go further than I intended, but good things were decided and it was very productive. We met for about an hour and a half and this meeting has decided my next three to four months of work. Funny how that happens, eh?

Anyway, I can breathe a sigh of relief that the first one is over. I owe the committee some more thinking and some decisions communicated in an e-mail within a week, and the next time we will all sit down together will probably be February or March. Before then I have to get a reading list organised and approved (by e-mail) and most of the list read. I'm stoked because it's been months now of spinning my wheels but finally I'm excited again about the work, the exams, the ideas...everything! As I exclaimed to Rocco on our way home from a debriefing beer at Caffe Barney, "I'm actually going to finish this PhD!" Yay!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:01 p.m.

    Hey Meg. That's awesome. I'm glad to see your excited about what you're woking on. Kath.
    Oh and bye the way, I don't have any pics from your visit. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete