31.7.07

Purchase intentions


I think when I earn my first real paycheque for professional work after this degree, my first major purchase (after the beer, of course) will be a fold up bike. Some people use them around campus and they're such a cool idea. Sometimes your commute is too far to realistically cycle, or it's pouring rain or a host of other excuses, but you need wheels to get around campus quickly or at least efficiently. A fold up cycle is perfect! Ok, I admit that a skateboard is also a great solution, and I did try to figure out skateboarding but haven't had any success. Maybe a young prof looks cooler riding around campus on a skateboard, but I'm onside with the collapsible cycle. Read more about it at Bike Friday. They start at around a thousand bucks US (which is currently about $999 Cdn - tee hee!) and go way up from there. I wonder if it would be very tricky to build my own... might have to work on that and check out some plans. I suspect it's all about light materials and good hinges. Hmmm.

I'm going to look so cool cycling around campus on those dinky little tires!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:18 p.m.

    Yeah bikes!!
    I used to work with a guy who had a fold up bike - he would take it on business trips with him and cycle around foregin cities to get to meetings. Fantastic.
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you get it in Fire truck red?

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about these guys? Might save you a few bucks

    http://www.citizenbike.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Marko! I should have thought to ask you earlier. Anyway, the purchase is a long way off - it's a long term plan.

    ReplyDelete