14.11.06

Reading goal

My reading ambition for Spring 2007 is to read all the books shortlisted for the 2006 Giller Prize. I do make an effort to read Canadian fiction, partially to support Canadian authors, but also to learn more about what people in this country are thinking and talking about. I figure the Giller shortlist is a good place to start. Here are the five authors and novels:
  • Rawi Hage - DE NIRO'S GAME
  • Vincent Lam - BLOODLETTING & MIRACULOUS CURES(Winner)
  • Pascale Quiviger - THE PERFECT CIRCLE
  • Gaetan Soucy - THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
  • Carol Windley - HOME SCHOOLING
Interestingly, the winning book is not a complete novel but a series of twelve short stories. The stories are connected and eventually a narrative arc emerges (so they say) but still I find it surprising that a collection of short stories won in a fictional novel competition. Windley's Home Schooling is also a collection of short stories. I'll keep the blog updated as I progress through the list (in random order).

Currently I'm reading
This Thing of Darkness by Harry Thompson. It's a really fantastic tale about the HMS Beagle, the surveying ship that carried Darwin to South America. The story is utterly readable and already I've spent many late nights reading well past my bedtime because the boat sails into a terrible storm and I can't put the book down before knowing the outcome. I highly recommend it to anyone even vaguely interested in that time or in that adventure.

4 comments:

  1. I curious... tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marko, you would probably looooove this book. I've been reading it at bedtime for less than two weeks and I'm already halfway through the 750 pages (it's a BIG book) because it's so good I can't stop reading. I'm going to be sad when this one's finished....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finish it off and then you can leave it here for me to read!! WE'll do a book swap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE? I've got this wicked comic I can trade ya for the book!

    ReplyDelete